Volvo's self-parking car

By | June 21, 2013
At the risk of being ridiculed for bad parking skill, I admit I like the thought of a self-park button which makes the car park itself. And fully-automated vehicles by 2020? If they can get those vehicles approved, that would be great! Maybe Scandinavia is forward-thinking enough to accept such policies. I can imagine it would be a challenge – for political reasons more than anything else – in pretty much every other region of the world.

/via +Wayne Radinsky

8 thoughts on “Volvo's self-parking car

1. Per Siden

No auto-parking system, no matter how clever, can help if you if there are no parking lots available, no worries there. 😉

And no worries about regaining manual control either. It's just like with cruise control, just touch the gas, the break or in this case the wheel, and you're back in charge.

With ever growing transport needs we have to think outside the 'car box'. In urban areas too much precious real estate area is being wasted on car traffic and parking lots. Up to 25% of available space in a typical city cannot be used for anything just because it has been claimed by residential and commuter's parking lots. To ensure that vitally important transportation of goods and people keeps working, and to free up more space for business and commercial use, we need to change strategy. In order to reduce private car commuting (person transportation that is not only inefficient but clogs up streets and business areas with parked cars all day) short-term parking must be made free of charge or cheap, and the luxury of long-term parking in urban areas must become really, really expensive. And of course public transport must be vastly improved.

2. Andrej Rehak

It would be good if a car could park itself. However i guess there are tons of technical challenges that remains. For example what if the entire parking area is full. And i hope that systems like this one will remain in class of "assistant systems" – that there will allways be possibility for people to take manual control.

3. Per Siden

As someone who used to drive 160 km a day I would have loved not having to drive myself, but I agree for the remaining 0.1% trips.

What appears to be a first with this system is the complexity of sites and unexpected events it seem to handle. I bet we are going to see this in a lot of models.

4. James Field

+Per Siden is correct.  In the UK, if you pass your driving test in an automatic car, you are only allowed to drive autos.  You have to either pass in a manual in the first place or take another test in a manual car to be able to drive one.

Self-parking cars are nothing new (Lexus brought one out a few years ago and the Ford Focus also has this ability) but they still require some input from the driver.  This system basically marries the two – parking assistance and driving autonomy.

While I'd love my car to chauffeur me around on boring trips, I'll always want to be able to do it myself for more engaging drives.

5. Per Siden

+dawn ahukanna I think that for the foreseeable future cars will remain part of everyday life.

In some countries you can get a drivers license that doesn't cover driving with a stick, perhaps it will soon be possible to get one that doesn't cover parking? Either way, even if our everyday cars are reduced to "pods" there will be cars as sport and recreation.

6. dawn ahukanna

I like the tech and creativity used to address this challenge. I feel we'll miss something not learning/practicing this skill as part of driving and cars could become single compartment transport "pods".

7. Per Siden

I hope eventually that autonomous cars will become part of the public transport system and that we'll see an end to self-owned cars in urban areas.