Vacuum cleaning without hairballs

By | October 17, 2012

Cool. I need one of these! Stooping every few meters to pick up the hairball collecting at the bottom of the vacuum cleaner, and then continue vacuuming, is very annoying. I wonder, though, how easy it is to clean the vacuum cleaner, if it indeed has such a fancy head?

Reshared post from +EuroTech

Dyson Tangle-free Turbine Tool
by +Kellya Clanzig, +EuroTech; France

Today, it’s science for housewives happiness: Dyson solved the problem of hairs ending up getting trapped by the brushes around the turbine, that reduces the suction capacity of the vacuum cleaner, or even worse, totally stops and breaks it.

The new component is the only turbine tool that doesn’t tangle. It releases more hair straight into the bin than any other mini turbine tool, avoiding the problem of having to scrape off and cut away at hair around the brush bars. This new Dyson problem solver is listed at £45.00, as it is currently only available in United Kingdom (and North America).

The designers took a second look at traditional vacuum brushes, unsatisfied by the way the tools too easily ball up fibers on carpets and upholstery. Instead of a horizontal spinning brush, Dyson’s accessory uses a more vertical axis of movement. The device features two flexible counter-rotating heads with built-in brushes that prevent hair-clogging and send hair into the vacuum bin. Moreover, it comes with an additional ‘mesh filter’ in order to prevent dust from hindering the cleaning performance of the turbine.

Also, the designers noted how brush bars of conventional turbine tools are rigid and lose contact with uneven surfaces. The brushes on the new Dyson tool are flexible and can bend to maintain contact across uneven surfaces. The heads are ideally located for the brushes to reach the front and side of the turbine allowing it draw in hair & dust particles from 360 degrees in towards the tool, allowing it to get stuck right into the edges and corners of flooring & stairs etc.

According to reports, the tool debut is a result of more than 50 engineers, 187 prototypes, and four years of work.

Dyson Ltd is a British technology company, founded in 1993 by James Dyson, which designs and manufactures vacuum cleaners, hand dryers, bladeless fans and heaters. The company prides itself on engineering products which work in different and better ways than their predecessors.

Tags: #ScienceEveryday
_____________________________________________________
Show your support by plussing the page and sharing it with friends.
→ More +EuroTech news | http://zipl.us/eurotech/feed (RSS)

24 thoughts on “Vacuum cleaning without hairballs

1. Max Huijgen

I´m pretty sure of it. Males love to buy machinery and by making vacuum cleaning into high tech they will spend the money. I know I had to push hard to get one….

2. Shar Banning

I love the dust bin! And just cause a companies advertising is … I wouldn't say offensive, but irrationally skewed (as +Max Huijgen pointed out), is no reason to stop using a product that I love. I can point stuff out to them without using threats.

Maybe that's it +Max Huijgen !

They're all ads targeting males. it would explain the cold, glossy 'car dealer' style backgrounds on the ads which turn up on GIS here, and possibly a stereotypical men's lust for women the genderized campaign over where +Shar Banning is?

4. Max Huijgen

I´ts a male thing to like Dyson´s. We men like the tech, while traditional women often object to the transparent dust bin.

5. Francois Demers

+Shar Banning Canada tried very hard to fight stereotypes by making it mandatory for all the advertisments Canada (the Govt. of) outsources, to show visible minorities.
    Someone, somewhere got an epiphany: show women! Sure: in Canada women are either invisible or a minority or both or neither. To be filed under knee-jerk quantum cluelessness.
    Someone then explained really slowly, in words of one syllable or less, what is a minority, what "vi si ble" means in context.
    Then, I apologise for the language but it became very quickly standard in the industry: "Do the ad, then add the married nigger lesbian in a wheelchair". Verbatim.

There is only one way that works: write, on paper, no email, the chair; mark, "personal and confidental"; inside "Dear Chair, I will never again buy any of your products because your advertising insults me"
    Do not say why, do not say what, leave a return address.
    Watch the sparks fly.

The chair has people who deal with email. They deal with it so the chair cannot get angry, by hiding it.

You want the chair angry: the chair, and only the chair understands who you are to the brand. 100% of all revenue.

Sorry, I am angry.

6. Shar Banning

Maybe it's different in Canada, the only pic I see of a guy using it he's vacuuming his dog and there are several pictures of different women using it.

7. Richard Smith

+Shar Banning yup that one gives a few shots of women using them, they are almost all the same woman, suggesting she was their model for the product shoots. I don't think having one model is evidence of pushing gender stereotypes :). There are plenty of companies out there that do push gender stereotypes, but it really doesn't look like Dyson is one of them.

Talking about gender stereotypes… I wonder if the extra technology would make it unsuitable for the "manly" (or would "boyish" be better, given historical context?) job of cleaning chimney soot.

9. Shar Banning

No, you aren't. It just pisses me off that Dyson keeps marketing to women and pushing gender stereotypes like men never clean anything. I have a Dyson cordless and The Man uses it more than I do.